Do I have a yeast infection?

Do I have a yeast infection?
Answer #1

Only a doctor can tell for sure if you have a yeast infection by taking a swab and run some tests. Most of us can sometimes tell by the feel, look, and smell that you have a yeast infection. If your symptoms don’t match this list, or you are confused or uncertain, go see your doctor if at all possible.

It feels like an intense itching, burning sensation, localized in your vagina and vulva. This itching is not always present, but can get really bad, so bad you can hardly walk, let alone sit still or concentrate on anything.

It looks like clumpy white stuff. Most medical descriptions compare the discharge to ricotta cheese, but it can range from thick and not clumpy to faintly yellow to thin and clear.

It smells like bread or beer. In fact, it smells pretty much exactly like yeast.

There are other types of infections that can sometimes infect your vagina and vulva and it’s helpful to know the symptoms of all of them so you can be really sure before you go treat yourself for a yeast infection you might not have.

A bacterial infection of the vagina can feel a lot like a yeast infection if the vulval area is itchy or painful. Unlike a yeast infection, the discharge can be dark yellow, green, or brown and it won’t smell like bread, it can smell like fish or something rotting. If you think you might have a bacterial infection, or if you’re not sure, I would recommend going to see your doctor as this has to be treated with prescription antibiotics.

Urinary tract infections (UTI’s) are due to bacteria infecting the urethra rather than the vagina. UTI’s can be fairly easily distinguished from vaginal infections by a host of symptoms, including pain or burning when urinating, blood or mucus in urine, needing to urinate often, pain or pressure in back or lower abdomen and a fever or chills. If you think you might have a UTI, don’t delay, go see your doctor, because the infection can travel up past the bladder, causing kidney damage.

Another type of infection called trichomoniasis is caused by a parasite that can infect both the vagina and the urinary tract, and is primarily sexually transmitted. If you have a trichomoniasis infection, your vagina can be itchy or painful, it can hurt to urinate, intercourse can be painful, and occasionally you can experience pain in your lower abdomen. Again, you have to see a doctor to get antibiotics to treat this.

I would recommend you see your doctor just to rule out any other infections and to get a proper diagnosis and proper treatment.

Good luck